Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Studies find a decrease in knee pain by increasing hip flexor and glute max strength

Studies find a decrease in knee pain by increasing hip flexor and glute max strength 

by: Karen Gilbert-Tyssen 
Registered Physiotherapist

Many runners suffer from knee pain at some point in their running career. Knee injuries can be difficult to settle down and are often accompanied by swelling, weakness, and altered running form. For runners this can be a huge problem and mean the end of their racing season. Many Runners are told their knee pain is arthritis and their options are limited, including medication, surgery, bracing or use of a cane. An end to their running career at this point seems inevitable and we begin to catastrophise. Will we ever run again?!!! For a runner these option are unacceptable and they often continue to run with pain, only making the problem worse.

Fear not my running friends! There is great news for knee pain sufferers in the world of science! A research study published in the July 2013 Journal of Orthopaedic & Sport Physical Therapy is reporting that increasing strength of the hip flexor muscles (specifically the Tensor Fascia Latae), the IT band, and the gluteus maximus has been shown to decrease load on the inside of the knee joint by transfering load to the outside knee joint. The theory behind unloading is that this will slow disease progression of medial joint line Osteoarthritis sufferers, decrease pain, and improve function. The study was done using knee cadavers hooked up to a robotic testing system where load of the inside and outside joint surface was measured with 0N, 50N and 100N of Force applied to the ITB in 0-30 degrees of knee bend. J Ortho Sport Phys Ther 2013;43(7);478-485. Epub 18 March 2012. 

This graph depicts the decreasing load in the medial (inside) joint line of the knee as the amount of load on the ITB increases. 

So what's the lesson here? Strengthen those hips and glutes! Runners are notorious for weakness in both these areas! Helpful exercises include bridges, theraband hip flexion (forward), abduction (sideways), and extension (backward) exercises. 
Of course we all hope to never get to this point in our season...so why not decrease the load before deterioration begins. As always, prevention is key!
The best course of action if you are having knee pain is to seek medical advice from a regulated health care practitioner like a physiotherapist. 

As always i can be reached at my clinic at 519-858-2931 for assessment including regular injury treatment, acupuncture, or running gait assessment.

Thanks for reading!

-Karen

2 comments:

  1. I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. It after a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS, BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, ETC.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Center.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp ... +2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Prostate
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    ,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,
    Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor,
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete